We welcome visits in person to peruse our books and other materials! Please contact us by phone or e-mail to set up an appointment that best suits your schedule. Optos Books is located at 18th Street and Fifth Avenue, in a private loft. Contact Us link.
Public Transportation Information: ( http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm )
Area Map Link
• To the Union Square stop on the N, R, Q, W, IRT (4, 5, and 6) trains. We recommend that if you are coming to the Union Square stop from uptown , that you be in the next-to-the-last car of your train and if you are coming from downtown , in the second or third car from the front. The station for the Union Square stop is enormous and this will allow you to exit the station the closest to us (and save some steps in the event of inclement weather). When you exit the station, you should find yourself in Union Square at approx 16th Street. Look north and slightly west (to your left) for the Starbuck's (not a plug – we'll brew up a great cup for you when you get here!) on the corner of Broadway and 17th Street. (On Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat., the Green Market is in session and may block your view to Starbucks – just head to NW corner and you'll see it). Head west on 17th Street, one short block to Fifth Avenue. Turn right, up Fifth Avenue for 1/2 block, look for number 105 – big steel numbers above a glass doorway.
• To the 14th Street stop on the B, Q, F, D trains. Exit the station heading in the direction of signs indicating 16th Street. the station is very large and this will allow you to exit the station the closest to us. When you exit onto the street (16th St. & 6th Avenue), walk two blocks north and one block east to Fifth Avenue. Look for number 105 – big steel numbers above a glass doorway, on the east side of Fifth Avenue.
• To the 18th Street stop on the 1, 2, 3, 9 trains. You must be on a local train (1 or 9) only for this stop, so change trains accordingly from your starting point. The 1-9 will let you out at Seventh Avenue and 18th Street. Walk east, across Sixth Avenue to Fifth Avenue. Look for number 105 – big steel numbers above a glass doorway, on the east side of Fifth Avenue.
• From Grand Central Station: Follow the subway instructions above for the IRT (4, 5, and 6) trains to Union Square stop.
• From Penn Station: Follow the subway instructions above for the local only 1-9 trains to 18th Street and 7th Avenue stop.
• From Port Authority: Take the #7 train across town from the Penn Station stop to either the Times Square stop and follow subway instructions above for the N, R, Q, W trains to Union Square; or take the #7 to 42nd Street & Grand Central stop and follow subway instructions above for the IRT (4, 5, and 6) trains. In our humble opinion the N, R, Q, W trains are the most direct (especially if a Q or W is your luck – they are express to Union Square).
• the M2, M3 and M5 buses stop at 17th Street and Fifth Avenue. Walk north on Fifth Avenue – we are at 105 - big steel numbers above a glass doorway near 18th St corner.
• • • By all means, call us if you find these directions are unclear or if you are lost on the way! • • •